These small pancakes are perfect for a summer dinner with friends and also make a great starter to a bigger feast. The ginger and lime salsa gives a great zing to the meal so don’t be tempted to leave it out! Serve them slightly warm with a collection of salads and they will disappear in no time!
500 g fresh spinach leaves
110 g gluten free self raising flour
6 spring onions or 1 red onion, finely chopped
2 fresh green chillies
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp gluten free baking powder
150 g soya milk
2 eggs , separated
Salt & pepper
Olive Oil for frying
Lime & ginger salsa
200 g soya yogurt or soya cream or mix of the two.
1 tblsp chopped coriander
Juice of 1 lime
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1. Steam the washed spinach for 1 minute until wilted, drain in a colander and when cool squeeze out the water with your hands. Chop roughly and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, olive oil, chopped onion & chillies. Add the spinach, spices and egg yolks, milk and chopped parsley, as well as salt and pepper.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture.
4. Heat a nonstick frying pan with a little oil and drop in spoonfuls of the spinach mix and fry for a couple of minutes until golden on each side. You should get 3 or 4 in your pan at a time. Cook the rest in batches and keep warm in a low oven.
5. To make the salsa, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Serve alongside the pancakes!